Learn more about Electronic Medical Records Software
What is Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Software?
Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Software is a system that stores digital health records for patients. EMRs are essentially a digital version of a patient’s health chart and history that was kept in paper format in the past. EMRs give health care providers access to important medical records so they can make the best decisions on care and treatment for patients.
What are the Common Features of Electronic Medical Records Software?
The common features of Electronic Medical Records (EMR) software include:
- Organize and store important patient information such as medical history, medications, past illnesses and treatments, immunization records, radiology images, lab results, and any other data that is pertinent to a patient’s medical conditions and history.
- Provides access to real-time patient data and gives medical professionals better information to make decisions about care and treatments.
- Integrates with other key processes such as claims and billing
- Offers the ability to scan and share documents securely
- Tracks medications and provides options for e-prescriptions
- Sends out automated appointment reminders to patients.
What is the Function of an EMR?
The function of an EMR is to be a digital version of a patient’s medical history and chart, storing details on a patient’s medical history, medications, lab results, past treatments, etc.
What is an EHR?
An Electronic Health Record (EHR) is a digital record containing a patient’s medical history, including allergies, health history, medications, and more. An EHR represents a running history of a patient’s care, across various healthcare providers and creates a comprehensive record of the patient’s health, wellness, and treatments.
What is the Difference Between EMR and EHR?
The difference between an EMR and an EHR is that an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) is a digital version of a patient’s chart containing medical history and treatments for a specific hospital or practice. On the other hand, and Electronic Health Record (EHR) is a digital record of a patient’s medical and treatment history over the long-term, across various medical centers.
What are the Different Types of EMR Systems?
The different types of EMR systems include: Cloud-Based EMR, Mac EMR, ONC-Certified EMR, Behavioral and Mental Health EMR, and Medical Billing software.
What are the Benefits of Electronic Medical Records Software?
The benefits of EMR software include:
- Organized, real-time patient information in one digital chart.
- Secure sharing of information with other medical professionals as needed for treating the patient.
- Improved patient interactions with medical professionals and providers.
- Increased convenience and accuracy in billing, care, and prescriptions.
- Better patient care and diagnoses.
Who Uses Electronic Medical Records Software?
Clinics, hospitals, and private practices use Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
What are the Challenges with Electronic Medical Records Software?
The challenges with Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Software are:
- Incorrect or Out-of-Date Patient Information
- Time and Investment Required to Properly Implement EMR system
- Inefficient or Inconsistent Processes
Which Companies Should Buy Electronic Medical Records Software?
The companies which should buy Electronic Medical Records software are:
- Private Practices
- Medical Clinics
- Mental and Behavioral Health Practices
- Physical Therapy Clinics
How to Buy Electronic Medical Records Software?
You can use the following checklist as a guideline for how to buy Electronic Medical Records (EMR) software for your hospital, clinic, or private practice.
- Establish a specific list of required features and billing capabilities you can use to compare vendors accordingly.
- Make sure the solution can handle your kind of practice and/or specialty.
- Check for ease of use, and robust and efficient billing options and claims tools
- Look carefully at reporting features: the tool should help you boost the practice’s performance across functions.
- Confirm compliance and security.
- Make sure enough support and training are provided by the vendor.
- Decide which deployment best fits your practice’s operations.
- Validate the vendor's reputation.
What are the Top Electronic Medical Records Software Trends?
The top Electronic Medical Record software trends include:
- 5G Networks
- Patient Engagement
- Overcoming EHR/EMR errors and issues
- AI and Voice Recognition