What is campaign management? What is the best marketing automation software? Who is a campaign manager, and the role of a campaign manager is to do what? Why is campaign management critical? How does it help the firm? All of these are essential questions for anyone running a business.
To fully grasp the concept of campaign management, it is also necessary to identify the importance of campaign management and the role of a campaign manager in performing which activities. Here we will be providing you with a guide regarding a campaign manager and the role of a campaign manager is to do what and what not.
What is a Campaign Management?
Before moving on to the role of a campaign manager, we need to understand what campaign management is. Campaign management, in simple words, is the planning, executing, tracking, analyzing, optimizing, and other activities involved with a marketing campaign or a new marketing initiative. From this explanation, the role of a campaign manager is to plan, execute, track, analyze, and optimize a marketing campaign. As the role of a campaign manager is to do these activities, he can use CRM software with campaign management to assist him in these. This will be discussed further on, in this article. Coming back to the campaign management solution, it is a tool that helps streamline all the processes and decisions related to the campaigns. Campaign management is essential for a business to maintain an on-brand image across multiple channels.
Tell us what you're looking for and we'll offer you personalized software recommendations.
What is the Role of a Campaign Manager?
What is a Campaign Manager, and the role of a campaign manager is to do what? From our understanding, as mentioned before, a campaign manager handles and manages all the aspects of the project or campaign.
So the role of a campaign manager is to understand how to set up marketing campaigns and help create and devise the movement and bring it to execution ideally. A campaign manager might be ultimately responsible for the campaign's success, but a campaign manager's role is to delegate the tasks to his team members. Also, the role of a campaign manager is to collaborate and coordinate with other departments and ensure that all departments are on the same page.
To answer the question that the role of a campaign manager is to do what exactly? Let’s look at the responsibilities a campaign manager undertakes.
Mainly, the role of a campaign manager is to do the following activities
- Do research, and gather information and resources.
- Keep a knowledge of the current trends.
- Set a budget for the campaign.
- Set a campaign schedule.
- Make and finalize timelines.
- Develop proper procedures for the appropriate execution of the campaigns.
- Essentially, the role of a campaign manager is to manage, track and measure the campaigns.
Along with this, the role of a campaign manager is to develop B2B (business to business) and B2C (business to consumer) drip marketing campaigns by doing the following campaign managements tasks.
- Analyze the campaign’s performance.
- Maintain records and reports of campaign results.
- Determine the KPIs and ROI of the campaigns.
- Brief the team about the campaign requirements, for example, briefing the content writes, web designers, graphic designers, etc.,
- Edit and proofread the team’s material, such as promotional material.
- Ensure the campaign’s goals and the organization’s purposes are aligned.
- Identify gaps and opportunities and implement correction and improvement measures.
Also, the role of a campaign manager is to identify outsourcing opportunities, for example, contacting freelancers or external agencies for work such as animators, designers, printers, etc.
So the role of a campaign manager is to do all this, and much more so the company can have a successful campaign and flourish its processes. After looking at the role of a campaign manager to do these activities, a typical day in the life of a campaign manager may look something like this.
Knowing that mainly the role of a campaign manager is to optimize the campaign, we can say that they have to start by gathering all the intel and have a quick check-in with all the team members regarding the current status of the campaigns, any hurdles, or any short deadlines approaching. A quick check-in with the client may also be necessary to maintain a contact sheet or a central customer database. They must create and edit content, map out strategies, etc.
What Skills are Important for a Campaign Manager?
After becoming aware that the role of a campaign manager is to perform all these functions, we can determine the skills required by that campaign manager. The skills most important are discussed here.
- As the role of a campaign manager is to be a leader. Leadership skills are a must for this role.
- As the role of a campaign manager is to handle multiple projects at a time, it is essential to have project management skills.
- Strategic thinking skills are helpful for a campaign manager because a campaign manager’s role is to analyze situations and determine the following best action.
- Remember that one of the roles of a campaign manager is to optimize the campaigns, so SEO (Search Engine Optimization) skills are necessary for a campaign manager.
- Communication skills are also a must, as evident from the fact that the role of a campaign manager is to manage entire teams under him and maintain interdepartmental collaboration. As the role of a campaign manager is also to create and proofread the content, these skills are imperative. The same goes for communication skills.
- Since the role of a campaign manager is to keep the costs under control as well, they need to have budget management skills.
- A good campaign manager might even have data science skills as a campaign manager's role is to ensure their campaigns' success in this data-driven world.
- Campaign management’s main focus lies within marketing, so skills related to email marketing, web designing, graphic designing, and PPC campaigns are also helpful. Social media management skills are a must, as the role of a campaign manager is to ensure that the customers get the right message at the right time.
- As we know, one of the roles of a campaign manager is to adapt to changing trends and proceed according to the campaign’s performance.
- Knowing the role of a campaign manager is to perform all the activities using CRM software, the campaign manager needs to have tech-savvy skills.
How a Campaign Manager Uses CRM Software
To fulfill all the roles and responsibilities discussed above, a campaign manager needs good CRM software. With its different features, such as lead management, project management, content optimization, data management, Omni channel marketing automation, insights, and analytics, a campaign manager can use a CRM Manager well. They can even create tailored and personalized campaigns across multiple channels. Campaign Manager also uses the best CRM software to predict future trends and identify opportunities.