VoIP stands for voice over Internet protocol. Due to its affordable cost, many businesses have left the regular phone companies and embraced VoIP for their needs. VoIP has been particularly popular with firms that make lots of long-distance and international calls. Digitally based, VoIP has surprised many users with its clarity and reliability.
Other efficiencies of VoIP are:
- Easy setup for for conference calls involving various individuals
- Ability to send videos, presentations and even send out webcam images while talking to the person on the phone. This is very useful when you cannot be at a meeting or conference– you can conduct your entire presentation remotely.
- You can save voice mails and send them to others through email. If you want someone to listen to an important voice message, you send that out to individuals with ease.
- VoIP can be used with W-Fi and with regular phone equipment. If you choose to use Wi-Fi, there is no need for complicated equipment and cables. Wi-Fi decreases the need and expense of cables and phone equipment maintenance.
- Businesses can send and receive faxes without a fax machine or a fax dedicated phone line. The entire process can be done using VoIP, and you don’t need to print documents; instead, they can be saved in digital format in your computer or network space. Because the document was digitally processed, faxed communication pieces are usually of a better quality than regular faxes.
- Scalability of the system is a major efficiency of VoIP. If you move or you add more employees to your firm, it’s simple and fast to change the phone system. As you move or add computer systems, you also move or add phone services. There is no need to call the phone service, deal with cables and loss of productivity.
Anybody considering VoIP should get fully trained in all the features the system provides. The more knowledgeable you are, the more you can use the system to your advantage. Low cost is just one feature of VoIP that initially attracts buyers, but there is more to the system to improve your efficiency. If you have any questions about extra services you require, bring them to the attention of your provider – your requirements may already be part of your service package or they may be available at a low price.