Learn more about Applicant Tracking Software
What is Applicant Tracking Software (ATS)?
Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) is a suite of tools and features that help companies track, organize, and manage candidates for open positions in the company. An applicant tracking system. ATS helps companies collect candidate details, resumes, recommendations, and other details pertaining to prospective employment.
Applicant Tracking Software can organize and automate the recruiting and hiring process by collecting and organizing candidate information so prospects can be sorted by skills and experience to expedite the recruiting and hiring processes.
Do I Need an Applicant Tracking System?
You need an applicant tracking system if you are looking to save time identifying suitable candidates for open position, screening applicants, and streamlining the interview and hiring process by identifying the best candidates in your applicant pool.
What are the Common Features of Applicant Tracking Software?
The most common features of Applicant Tracking Software include:
- Managing requisitions
- Creating applicant profiles
- Resume management
- Managing job boards or careers section of company website
- Automated job posting
- Application management
- Applicant pre-screening processes and customizable question lists
- Initial candidate short listing
- Communication tracking and management
- Pre-employment tests/assessments
- Interview management
- Managing workflow
- Detailed reports (standard and custom reports)
- Video Interviews
- Managing referrals by existing employees:
- New employee on-boarding
- Background checks
- Certification checks
- Checking referrals
- Integration with HR software
- Social media recruiting
- Self-service portal for candidates
- Automating appointment letters
- Track candidates who may be a fit in the future
- Smartphone compatibility
- Improved self-service capability
What are the Benefits of an ATS?
The benefits of an ATS include:
- Savings in costs, time, and resources
- Managing all job applicants in a centralized system
- Posting jobs with more ease and organization
- Streamlining hiring, onboarding, and training
- Reducing manual processes and paperwork
- Improving compliance in hiring practices
Who Uses Applicant Tracking Software?
All types and sizes of companies use applicant tracking software. While almost all large corporations use this type of software, a growing number of small businesses are also using these systems to identify candidates and expedite the hiring process.
What are the Challenges with Applicant Tracking?
The challenges with applicant tracking can include:
- Lack of candidates
- Interviews taking place without all the proper candidate data collected and verified
- Resumes being used as a sole factor in the hiring decision
- Disorganized hiring practices and processes
- Poor employee retention
Do Small Businesses Use ATS?
Some small businesses use applicant tracking software to identify and verify candidates, but many also skip the investment in the early phases when employee numbers and hiring processes are manageable in email and spreadsheets.
How Much Does Applicant Tracking Software Cost?
Applicant Tracking Software costs start at around $4 -$10 per employee each month. Many ATS vendors offer packages with reduced fees as candidate or employee numbers grow so that they can continue to offer competitive pricing as your company grows.
How to Buy Applicant Tracking Software?
You can use the following checklist to help you determine how to buy the best ATS for your business.
- Focus on business needs, recruiting and onboarding issues, and growth goals driving the decision to get a new or upgraded ATS.
- Plan for data migration, implementation costs, IT involvement, and any downtime that may impact employees or new hires during the transition.
- Make a plan to support user adoption through training.
- Understand the recruiting, hiring, and onboarding processes you’re looking to streamline and automate.
- Don’t skip the product demos offered by ATS software vendors to show features and functionality.
- Understand reporting and analytics needs.
What are the Top Applicant Tracking Software Trends?
The top applicant tracking software trends are:
- Hiring for a remote workforce or gig economy
- Diversity in hiring
- Cloud-based software
- AI automations and real-time insights and reporting
- Full suite integrations with Payroll, HR, ATS, and Accounting
- Focus on positive employee experience and culture management