What is Time and Attendance Software?
And How Does Work With Payroll or HR Solutions?
Manually creating employee schedules, keeping track of hours worked, and handling time off requests can be challenging and error-prone for companies and confusing and frustrating for employees. However, modern Time and Attendance software can help you manage your staff’s time much more efficiently and eliminate manual processes that are hindering your operations or diminishing employee satisfaction.
This resource will help you understand Time and Attendance software benefits and limitations and explain how this software can work as a stand-alone solution or as an integration with your existing Payroll or HR systems.
What is Time and Attendance Software?
Time and Attendance software is a collection of tools and applications that help your company streamline processes for tracking employee hours, schedules, overtime, vacation days, and more in one standardized system.
The key features and capabilities offered in Time and Attendance software typically include:
- Employee Time Tracking
- Tracking of Employee Overtime Hours
- Scheduling (creating and managing employee schedules)
- Attendance Tracking (clocking in and out, logging time and comparing to schedules)
- Vacation and Time off Requests and Tracking
- Employee Communication Portal
- Remote Access
- Document Management
- Reporting and Analytics
Advantages of Time and Attendance Software
Implementing a Time and Attendance software solution can bring about many key business benefits when it comes to managing your workforce, including:
- Improved accuracy in tracking employees' hours worked
- A centralized system for tracking and approving requests for paid time off
- Ability to compare assigned schedules to hours actually worked
- Operational cost savings due to eliminating manual time cards or tracking methods and minimizing mistakes
- Increased productivity and efficiency through a more streamlined, standardized, and automated approach to time and attendance
- Improved morale and employee satisfaction thanks to convenience and ease of use.
- Systems that are easier to scale as you grow and add new employees to your business.
- Assurance of compliance with labor regulations
Limitations of Time and Attendance Software
Time and attendance solutions offer an array of features and tools tailored to streamlining employee schedules and time tracking, but these point solutions don’t typically offer payroll processing or other HR functions as part of the system. However, time and attendance solutions can be integrated with other software you have in place to manage HR and payroll efficiently and effectively.
Software Comparison: Time and Attendance Vs. Payroll Software Vs. HR Software
Time and Attendance solutions are available in different capacities. Some vendors offer stand-alone systems for tracking employee hours, overtime, vacation days, and handling scheduling, while others offer time and attendance tracking capabilities as a larger suite of tools, including Payroll and HR Management.
Payroll software is a great solution for companies that need the ability to pay employees on a regular schedule and automate the manual work that comes along with the basics of processing payroll and reporting to governing bodies on necessary taxes.
HR or HCM software solutions can bring all of your human resources tasks into a singular system, which along with workforce automations and advanced reporting tools, will help your HR team manage employees and all the intricacies of HR in a more efficient, streamlined fashion.
Some payroll and HR solutions have time and attendance tracking built into their software tools, and while other do not, but time and attendance software can be integrated with your payroll and/or HR solutions to provide your business the full spectrum of tools needed to best manage your workforce.
Like what you just read? At Wheelhouse, we are passionate about all things software, and our specialty is connecting software buyers to an enterprise solution that perfectly matches their needs.
Please visit our Time and Attendance software page for a complete list of all the solutions we have on offer. Need more help? Drop us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to assist you!