What is an Applicant Tracking System?
An Applicant Tracking System is a software solution that helps businesses streamline the process of recruiting, hiring, and managing new employees. ATS software helps increase hiring efficiency by electronically handling all the documents associated with recruiting, such as accepting and sorting resumes to identify good candidates more quickly.
ATS solutions are available through both on-site and cloud-based deployments, depending on your company’s business needs and budget.
Key Features Offered by ATS Systems
ATS software can be a powerful tool for better managing your recruiting and hiring efforts with increased efficiency and success. While the current ATS solutions on the market now were born from internal Human Resources applications, they are much more advanced and provide a full suite of tools to help you better your hiring practices.
Some of the key features offered by top ATS providers include:
- Job posting automation and management
- Resume management, sorting, and screening
- Employee referral program management
- Candidate search management
- Candidate communication and interview management tools
- Workflow management and automation
- Pre-screening services
- Social media integration
- Reporting tools
- Compliance with industry hiring regulations
- User-friendly portals for internal and candidate use
Some of the more advanced ATS solutions even offer more in-depth tools for the hiring process, including:
- Background checks
- Certification checks
- Candidate tracking for future positions
- Social media talent acquisition
Pain Point Reduction with ATS Systems
Implementing an ATS software solution can dramatically upgrade how you handle recruiting and hiring new team members. However, like any software investment, there are a variety of solutions to choose form and you will need to carefully consider your pain points and business needs to understand what features and tools will best help you boost the efficiency of your recruiting and hiring practices.
To best identify the pain points in your current processes, you can use questions such as these to help guide your exploration and ultimately make the decision on which ATS solution will best fulfill your needs and goals:
- Does manual handling of recruiting and hiring paperwork take up more time than any other steps in the process?
- Do you struggle finding adequate talent for your team, or have key positions stay open for long periods of time?
- Do you struggle with compliance issues surrounding your current hiring practices?
- Are you posting jobs and managing resumes manually?
- Is your communication process with candidates clunky, manual, and outdated?
The questions that receive an answer of “yes” are the pain points that could be holding back your hiring process, and by extension, the successful growth of your company. Identifying your company’s specific needs and gaps in efficiency will help you choose an ATS system that will help improve your recruiting procedures. Without taking this necessary step, you are likely to choose a system that does not meet your needs and may cause more work, confusion, and inefficiency around recruiting and hiring.
When you have a shortlist of ATS options, it can also be very valuable to contact the provider and schedule a demo of their software. Most ATS providers will happily provide free demos and address any questions that you have as you see the system in action. Communicate your pain points, and make sure that the system will meet your needs effectively and make sure that you can leverage the ATS solution for your continued growth and success.